The Cardiac Rehab Alumni Group is a peer support group made up of people who have participated in a cardiac rehabilitation program . Spouses and life partners who are critical to supporting heart patients are also active members of our group.We exist to help each other and our life partners to stay on track with heart healthy lifestyles. It is a not for profit and unincorporated support group. Our peers have participated in programs such as the Central East LHIN program held at the Wellness Center in Peterborough or the hospital based programs at PRHC or Ross Memorial . The group is not run by or sanctioned by any hospital, or rehabilitation facility. The group may be supported by a hospital, or rehabilitation facility from time to time but the activities of the group are not managed by those agencies.
We may share educational information but we do not offer medical advice other than sharing accredited publicly available information on heart health topics. All peer support group members are encouraged to consult their medical team for advice on any health issue they may be experiencing. If you are looking for medical attention for heart health related issues this peer group is not the right starting point. If you are looking for medical advice about a health condition consult with you healthcare team. Your healthcare team can direct you to a rehab program. Our peers have all previously sought out medical attention and are now focused on staying on track.
Our purpose is to provide each other as peers with ongoing support to stay on track with a heart healthy lifestyle. We accomplish this through;
- Continued learning and education in the field of cardiac and cardiac related health, through guest speakers and sharing accredited publicly available information.
- Helping each other stay on track. Peer support assists in getting us motivated to get back on track. Alumni members are encouraged to select a peer to share goals and help each other track progress towards goals.
- Promoting nutrition and healthy eating with grocery store tours and dietary information that supports a healthy lifestyle.
- Peer group support, a chance to talk with others about their experiences.
- Information and realistic strategies for understanding and managing the emotional and psychological aspects of the lifestyle and personal changes experienced as a result of working on cardiac rehab.
- Providing family and friends with education so that they can understand how they might provide support.
To become a peer group member you must have participated in a cardiac rehab program or been advised by your health team that this may be beneficial. Click the Contact Us link to get started.
This website has been designed for and by fellow peers.